Wednesday, December 14, 2016

Trusting your gut despite Anxiety | Ellen Bourne



Yesterday afternoon I had a tarot reading. I asked the woman, 'what is intuition?' Because I've always - and I think many others feel the same -  found it a difficult concept to grasp, act on, and of course trust. My mind switches back and forth a lot and I feel like I can never quite know what is actual valuable intuitive understanding, and what is an anxious toxic thought whirl.

She pointed to the space between her ribs (the actual stomach) and said, 'intuition is often a feeling of nervousness in our gut, or it can be the repetitive thoughts we get when we are in a relaxed state.' Those thoughts that keep cropping up. Often, I think, the problems we are repressing - or maybe the things we know we should be doing. This notion made a lot of sense to me, especially after reading Guilia Enders 'Gut' book and researching the way the stomach and mind play on each another in terms of anxiety.


About a year ago now I had a strange experience, at a music festival a man came up to me, hugged me and he said, 'It's okay. I went through a massive break up this year as well.'

I never understood how he knew, but I think this is another space where intuition plays a role. I think there are ways we carry our mental and emotional experiences with us, whether this is in the way we talk, walk, the hunch of a shoulder or the tap of a foot in situations that give us nerves. Our hurt might be painted in the shadows on the curves of our faces that disallow us from seeing new situations as being reflective of old - old friendships, old relationships, old patterns of mistrust and pain.

As the late Leonard Cohen said, 'We're all a little broken, that's how the light gets in.' In times of fear and uncertainty like these I think it's wise for us all to let others in.


Outfit:

Skirt - General Pants AU