Monday, May 9, 2016

Vegan Protein-Based Breakfast Dips || 2 Ways ||




Over the last few weeks I've been getting back into the swing of cooking. I used to thoroughly enjoy food-shopping and cooking. Now that I've begun adopting a more plant-based lifestyle (I've been vegetarian for almost five years, and have recently begun transitioning to veganism after trying it out last year) I have found my creative juices firing in the kitchen. I just can't stop with meal ideas! I fall asleep feeling so excited for breakfast and thinking about what I can create that is jam-packed full of healthy goodness to keep my mind and body fuelled throughout the day.

The other night I decided to try making my own Hummus. I love hummus, but I was certain I could create it with a few less ingredients than come in store bought tubs. While I was making the hummus (which, by the way is SO easy) I also thought up a quick recipe for a spicy 'Mexican' inspired bean dip and decided to make both at the same time. I wanted two healthy spreads/dips that I could add to my breakfast and lunch regimes in order to add extra protein and iron to my diet, because with the gloom of winter in the sky I've not been feeling too tip-top.

So, without further ado here are my two 'breakfast dip' recipes:


HUMMUS: 

Ingredients:

1x 500g can of chickpeas
Juice of 1/2 a lemon
1x tablespoon of lemon zest
4x tablespoons of olive oil
1x tablespoons of turmeric
1-2 cloves of garlic (I used two, but to be honest I think next time I'll stick to just one!)
Salt and Pepper to taste



SPICY 'MEXICAN' BEAN DIP:

Ingredients:

1x 500g can of five bean mix
Juice of 1/2 a lemon
1x tablespoon lemon zest
4x tablespoons of olive oil
2-3 leaves of fresh chopped basil
1/2 of one fresh tomato (chopped)
1/2 one fresh spanish onion (chopped)
1 inch of fresh jalapeno (chopped)
Salt and pepper to taste


METHOD:

The method for each of these dips is super simple! I washed each can of beans/legumes, then lined half a pre-oiled baking dish with each (making sure to keep the chickpeas and beans separate). 









Once they were sitting snugly on each half of the baking dish I doused both halves in their respective spices (turmeric for the chickpeas, basil, salt and pepper for the beans). 



After this I baked them in the oven for around 15 minutes at 160 degrees celsius. 




The next step is to add in the seasonings and blend together!



For the hummus I then poured the roast chickpeas into the cup for my Magic Bullet blender









I then followed the exact same method, only adding in (of course) a few different seasonings for the Spicy 'Mexican' Bean Dip:











And enjoy! I piled some of my bean dip onto fresh toasted bagels and added some chopped avocado, tomato and spinach to the plate.