Monday, May 9, 2016

Spicy (Vegan) Beetroot Soup | Ellen Bourne |


Mmmm, there's nothing quite like a spicy veggie-filled soup on a cold, rainy winters day! Yesterday it was pouring here in Melbourne. I decided to whip up this soup with some of the leftover vegetables in my fridge and add in some spicy jalapeno to combat the sniffles I've had building all week.

Ingredients:

1x Beetroot
1x Carrot
About 1/4 of a butternut pumpkin
2x cloves of Garlic
1/2 a Spanish onion
2-3 tablespoons olive oil
1x teaspoon of nut butter
1 inch of fresh jalapeno
1x can of coconut cream
1x can of chickpeas
A rough handful of spinach
Basil, rosemary and salt and pepper to taste.

Method:

Mix oil, spices and crushed garlic a saucepan over a low heat until golden brown. Add in spanish onion and jalapeno (chopped roughly). Once slightly carmelised add in a glass of water and chopped carrots. Be sure to stir thoroughly. At this point I covered the saucepan with a lid and allowed everything to simmer and soften for a few minutes, because carrots take a while to cook yo! 


Next up I chopped my beetroot up into squares, and my butternut pumpkin and tossed those in, stirring well to ensure my spices were distributed evenly throughout the soup. I poured in a little more water and covered the saucepan again leaving everything to simmer once again for about 10-15 minutes. 

I then poured in my can of coconut cream and mixed well. I let my soup simmer for another 5-10 minutes without the lid on, then poured everything into a blender and pureed it into the purple dream you are seeing in these photographs. Once smooth, I poured the soup back into the pan and added my washed and drained chickpeas. I let these cook for about ten minutes and lastly added in about a handful of chopped Spinach. Once this was wilted slightly I took the pan off the heat and poured my delicious, spicy vegan soup into a bowl and served it with fresh toasted bagels covered in delicious nut butter!