Saturday, October 11, 2014

Directing Vanities:

Originally I wanted to title this post, ‘What to do when you can only see the immediate world in front of you and it’s becoming hydra-like’ – but I thought that was a little abstract.

In my life there have been multiple times and places that have left me feeling that my immediate world is the only world. It isn't. There's a war in the Middle East, refugee's are dying on Australian shores, homelessness, famine and disease are major issues...

I am incredibly lucky and always have been so. I was just talking yesterday about how much I love the idea of having no fallback, I like change. I like movement. I like grids and ripples, things that take you places and cause new movement, new growth. I like being in and around changes and passing people by with the knowledge that as strangers we know each other as best we ever will, even if we spent three years being inseparable.

However I've never really had to live a life where there truly is no fallback. I laugh at myself sometimes, when I'm upset about ridiculous things and I think, 'man I'd fail so hard at life if I actually had real problems'. I mean, granted, problems are relative and we've all known so since the emergence of #whitepeopleproblems/#firstworldproblems but I still feel that it's only when we properly broaden our minds; do what Adam Smith wanted so badly and direct our vanity to 'proper' objects, that we manage to realize the following:

When our world is only what is at our feet, what is immediate, but is never changing it seems that we over-analyse it. We add innuendo and intention to action and this constantly multi-faceted perspective can become hydra-like. When we become too used to a situation we try to be ‘sure’ of our reality, and no one on this whole planet has ever succeeded in being 100% sure of their reality with the proof to back it up.


Our desire to neatly categorise every incident in our lives seems to only serve to trap us further in our own heads. I understand the anxieties behind it, I've had social anxiety as well as other anxieties and I understand the struggle to get out of your head - but isn't diving into something outside of yourself the easiest way to do that?

Anxiety is an odd function, and it seems that these days more people suffer from it than ever. Personally, I think that's some pretty heavy social commentary right there. So why don't we take heed of our anxiety, not by letting it run our lives and question ourselves and our friends, but take heed of it in the sense that we recognise there are bigger issues - hence why we're all sharing these feelings - and we need to do something to rectify these massive issues.

If nothing else, at least you'll be panicking about the war in the middle east rather than what your friends think about you - so there's the possibility of gaining a constructive activity from the former.


In other news I've recently moved, and I've been playing with hoops & bubbles in my backyard:


Xo,

Ellen