Friday, October 24, 2014

Book-Writing Woes



“When one is writing a novel in the first person, one

must be that person.”

—Daphne du Maurier

I've spent most of the last two years attempting to write a manuscript about the lasting effects of trauma in a family, the problems with status quo bias in society & the idea of being the kind of person who can facilitate thoughts in other people.



I'm now pretty much ready to end this particular relationship with my keyboard, but I'm having a character-based existential crisis to do with this:

 I need to find a way to describe someone's mental snap as being a result of having no narrative or I suppose 'life training' (?) to fall back on, and so far the only metaphor I can think of to even ask myself what I'm talking about is, 'it's like she can't grow her own vegetables, but she really wants to. But she just can't. She just wasn't taught HOW to do it, just that it was a better option - but then nobody she knew bothered with it.' 

No joke I've actually got that in my notes.



**It's been a week since I first wrote this, I've still got nothin'


Xo,

Ellen