Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Honest to Blog:

Hello all!

I feel very chirpy today. It might not show, but I'm feeling very playful inside my head (the place I like to spend the majority of my time!) this actually doesn't happen at that often, unfortunately, so I thought I'd write a little post about it.

The last two years have been rough on me. Learning to 'adult' (as silly as that might sound to some) is a difficult time. I've spent much of the last couple of years thinking and reflecting, feeling sad and feeling okay, but today I felt something I've not felt in a long time returning, and that is playfulness.

source
Playfulness, I feel, is a really underrated character trait. When we feel playful we are able to mess around with ideas, not take ourselves, lives or activities so seriously. I think it's really important to make time to feel playful, not to constantly access the most serious of thoughts because we believe they carry the most important lessons, but to also remember that getting the creative juices flowing in those fun, happy, funny parts of our minds opens up a whole other side of creativity. We can invent hilarious sketches, jokes and write great comedy (or even just stream-of-conscious a whole bunch of random crap) with playfulness.

source
I'm really glad to be getting back to my playful side, to joke and be silly, sarcastic and see the funny side of things without worrying too deeply. I feel like I'm beginning to mesh together those parts of me which have been standing very, very separately for a long time.

It's so important to play, to live, to sit outside, curled up with a blanket and some friends and watch the moon rising and swans skimming over the water (I did this the other week and can vouch for its effectiveness in soothing the soul, calming the mind and getting those creative juices flowing). It's important to play, because it's important to experience. Life is, after all, our only opportunity for sensational experience!

source
Remember that it is important to play around with things, ideas, mediums of expression, etc, etc. Y'all know the drill, now go draw something or write some highly pretentious experimental fiction!

Xo, Ellen