Thursday, February 13, 2014

Youtube Launch/The Conscientious Consumer:

Hello All!


As you may well know from reading this blog, I'm currently attempting to source eco-friendly beauty and fashion products as part of a project I like to call 'the conscientious consumer' where I provide info on brands/designs that can help us help (or at least prevent us from hindering the progress of) the planet and offset our carbon footprint.


You see, every move we make, every product we buy, can aid in the destruction of our homes. Now, that doesn't mean that buying your favourite MAC product will immediately put a bulldozer through your living room, what it means is that buying your favourite MAC product increases the mythology that consumers just don't care. Buying products which harm the 'whole' (think Nietzsche) perpetuates the idea that we value the fictitious reality we have supplemented our lives with rather than the 'real' or 'natural' world which we need to keep healthy in order to y'know, survive.


It's important to remember that we, as a society, decide wholly through our actions what is and is not acceptable behaviour. When we buy harmful products, even if it is based on totally legitimate needs like accessibility and affordability, we are basically saying 'hey, burning rabbits and uprooting the amazon is fine. Go on oil companies, get down with your bad selves.'


While the effects of our actions aren't always immediate, they are generally devastating. Just look at what's currently happening here in Australia to the Great Barrier Reef and over in the Yukon in Canada - all because certain factions of our society are placing a higher value on money and the fossil fuels that will garner them more money, than things like food, the lives of humans and animals and the health of our planet.


It's a sad reality, and one that - without proper education - will only continue to worsen. Education and increasing our sense of social responsibility is one of my major goals when it comes to my mission with the Conscientious Consumer as well as my newly launched Youtube Channel.


 I myself am a pretty awful participant in this culture of buying cheap crap & not double-checking labels, but another part of my mission with Youtube and the Conscientious Consumer is to remind myself, through constant research and reaching out, to always be on the lookout for behavioural patterns which do not serve the whole. I'm hoping to come out of this journey, with those of you who are interested, with a better understanding of my place in the world and how I affect everything around me.


I was raised by two ex-hippies, an artist (my mother) and a dude who used to live in a tree house (Dadd-io) - although I was your typical 'rebellious' teenager in that I rejected my parents 'op-shop-an-make-things' approach to life, as a child I was very caring and creative. Now that I'm an adult I seem to have completed the full-circle movement most people my age go through, of remembering that I am not the be-all and end-all of my personal reality - no matter how personal it is.


At the age of eighteen (ish) I became a vegetarian in order to reduce my carbon footprint, and also because I don't believe in supporting the meat industry, or the animal cruelty and environmental strain that comes with it. However, despite being a vegetarian the amount of products (from food to clothing) I use takes up an enormous amount of our global production space (using the WWF's calculator mine came in at an estimate 5.9 hectares of production space, the average Australian's is 6.6).


Becoming more conscientious is the first step to securing a safer, cleaner and more highly educated future for all. If we look at our behavioural patterns as a society, and attempt to rectify them - or at least educate ourselves about why they are harmful  and try to better ourselves - we will only serve to hinder the destruction of our home, and aid the propagation of a more intelligent way of life.


Xo, Ellen




"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing's going to change, it's just not." - Dr. Seuss, The Lorax